Sunday 13 July 2014

Support grows for right to die

Lord Falconer of Thoroton former Lord Chancellor has expressed fears that a sensitive bill laying out plans for assisted dying could be wrecked by opponents before it gets going
Lord Falconer was reported on Glastonbury as saying: "I fear that somebody may put a wrecking amendment down. The way you kill it is you put a motion down referring it to a select committee not a bill committee. That finishes it off for that session. I am urging all of my supporters to come on Friday to vote down such a motion."
Lord Falconers fears come after a weekend which saw high profile religious figures place their support behind the assisted dying campaign.
In a column written or the Observer newspaper former Anglican Archbishop of South Africa Desmond Tutu has called the prolonging of life in certain cases as an "affront to dignity".
In his column the 82-year-old Mr Tutu said: "I think when you need machines to help you breathe, then you have to ask questions about the quality of life being experienced and about the way money is being spent."
Specifically commenting on the measures used to keep his old friend and historic South African leader Nelson Mandela alive, and be photographed meeting world leaders when he was not fully aware his surroundings.
Mr Tutu said: "You could see Madiba [Nelson Mandela] was not fully there. He did not speak. He was not connecting. My friend was no longer himself. It was an affront to Madiba's dignity.
"Yes, I think a lot of people would be upset if I said I wanted assisted dying. I would say I wouldn't mind actually."
He said: "I have been fortunate to spend my life working for dignity for the living. Now I wish to apply my mind to the issue of dignity for the dying. I revere the sanctity of life - but not at any cost."
His comments come only days after the ex Archbishop of Canterbury Lord Carey expressed his support for Lord Falconers bill. Lord Carey, who has previously voiced opposition to assisted dying, explained his change of heart in the Daily Mail. Placing himself in direct opposition to the official Church of England line Lord Carey said that it was not "anti-Christian" to support the bill.
Lord Falconer has commented on the support as a further reason why he believes the bill should pass:  "I thought [Carey's intervention, in an article for the Daily Mail] was profoundly significant. It seemed to me to express views held by very many committed Anglicans. It provided real leadership for the alternative view. He made absolutely clear that there is no Christian reason to oppose assisted suicide. I respect the views of those who oppose. The significance of the Carey and the Tutu interventions is that there is nothing anti-Christian about supporting assisted dying."
The bill would not make assisted suicide legal, however, I passed it would mark a milestone in the campaign to provide the terminally ill, and those with no quality of life, the rights already granted to animals, the right to die with dignity.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment